Antivirus software is an effective tool that can prevent cyber attackers from damaging your device, spying on you, and stealing your sensitive data. Even devices with the latest Windows 11 OS are still vulnerable to common online dangers that can cause permanent issues. When unprotected, your PC or laptop can become flooded with malicious software which can slow down your system, bombard you with ads, and even take full control of your device. The best way to avoid these threats is by installing reliable antivirus software that has full compatibility with Windows 11.
Not sure how to choose the best antivirus provider? We have laid out a list of the key factors that you should consider before making your choice. We have also carefully researched and accumulated the top three greatest antivirus software for Windows 11, so you can make an informed and confident decision. Keep reading to explore the benefits of antivirus software and discover the best Windows 11 antivirus software in 2022.
Have other devices to protect? Discover the best antivirus software for macOS and Android!
The best Windows 11 antivirus software quick guide
- TotalAV – Best overall choice
- Bitdefender – Packed full of features
- Kaspersky – Perfect for families
Why do I need antivirus software?
Antivirus software is a program that can be installed on your device to detect and protect you from cyberattacks. Without antivirus, attackers can exploit vulnerabilities in your Windows 11 PC, leading to unwanted programs infiltrating and spreading through the system. These malicious programs can harm you and your device in a multitude of ways including stealing important files, wiping hard drives, spying on your activity, and even taking over complete control of your system.
Antivirus will scan your devices to identify threats and remove them accordingly before they have a chance to cause irreversible damage. Dangers that can be prevented by reliable antivirus software include malware, adware, ransomware, spyware, rootkits, bots, and viruses. Even advanced operating systems such as Windows 11 still have weaknesses that can be capitalised on by cybercriminals. Therefore, it’s absolutely essential to install antivirus software on your PCs and laptops.
What to look for in antivirus software for Windows 11
Here are a few key factors that should be taken into consideration before choosing your antivirus software –
- Performance – The best antivirus software will be able to protect your device without slowing down your entire system. This is especially important if you want your antivirus to perform regular scans such as whenever you boot up your PC. You also don’t want antivirus software that puts a strain on your system and RAM, as this could cause damage to your device’s hardware.
- Automation – You’ll want your antivirus to have some degree of automation so it can run in the background and protect your device without needing your attention. The ideal antivirus software for any OS will have automatic updates, scans, and backups.
- Compatibility – It’s vital that you choose an antivirus that can run optimally on your operating system (OS) without consuming too many CPU resources. In this case, that’s Windows 11. Ensuring that your chosen antivirus is compatible with your OS should never be overlooked, as this can cause the software to work incorrectly and not probably protect your device.
- Extra features – Other additional features from an antivirus that will make your life much easier include an email scanner, vulnerability assessment, file shredder, firewall, ad-blocker, parental controls, and multi-device compatibility. Some antivirus providers also offer other software including password managers and VPNs. Of course, none of these mentioned features are completely necessary. However, they will definitely improve your Windows 11 device’s overall protection against online threats.
- Price – Although opting for free antivirus software may seem like the most convenient choice, you may not be guaranteed the same level of protection as premium providers. For something as important as your online security, paying for antivirus software is highly recommended. Some premium antivirus providers do offer free trials that allow you to test out the software for a time period beforehand. It’s also wise to consider whether you’d prefer a provider that offers a one-time payment or an annual subscription.
- Customer support – Before you commit to a specific provider, you’ll want to ensure that they have a good reputation for dealing with customer queries. A fast-responding and helpful customer support team can drastically improve your overall experience. It’s always a good idea to check customer reviews before choosing a specific provider to see how they deal with queries such as common questions, refund requests, and product issues.
Our top recommended Windows 11 antivirus software
Based on the factors we’ve mentioned above, here is a list of the top three best antivirus software providers for Windows 11 in 2022 –
TotalAV is an impressive, well-rounded antivirus that provides a range of excellent features packed in an intuitive and easy-to-use interface. For the ultimate security on your Windows 11 device, look no further than TotalAV.
The software’s real-time protection is constantly running in the background and checking any downloads for viruses and other threats. Users can schedule smart scans which will periodically flag malware, cookies, and junk files. There is also the option to set custom scans to target a specific file, folder, or hard drive.
TotalAV has three different antivirus plans available. The Antivirus Pro plan includes cloud scanning, phishing scam prevention, system tune-up tools, a disk cleaner, and a browser cleaner. The Internet Security plan also provides users with TotalAV’s VPN whilst the Total Security plan includes an additional ad-blocker and password vault. The ad-blocker can ensure a clutter-free experience and can enable you to browse the web fast without distractions. Additionally, the VPN can improve your privacy when browsing the web as you’ll no longer be leaving any digital footprints. These are both very helpful features that can upgrade your overall online experience.
This antivirus has multi-device compatibility so you can connect and protect up to 3 devices simultaneously on the Pro plan, or 6 devices on the Total Plan. Of course, TotalAV is fully optimised for Windows 11, but you can also install this antivirus on Windows 7 and above in addition to macOS, iOS, and Android devices. The user interface is well-designed, making it the ideal option for users that are unfamiliar with antivirus technology. If you have any queries, you can contact TotalAV’s friendly support team or head to the knowledge base for answers to common questions and other useful resources.
Overall, TotalAV is a fantastic antivirus that offers plenty of bonus features combined with almost flawless malware detection and prevention. Even beginners will appreciate the streamlined app and available automated tools. For a hassle-free antivirus that doesn’t impact your system’s performance, TotalAV takes the trophy.
Try TotalAV out now for 30-days with their money-back guarantee!
Bitdefender high-powered and feature-rich antivirus with near-perfect detection rates. With full compatibility with Windows 11, this is another superb, cost-effective antivirus software that can effectively protect your PC or laptop.
Bitdefender has three tiers of plans up for grabs; Internet Security (up to 3 devices), Total Security (up to 5 devices), and Family Pack (up to 15 devices). All plans provide users with top-notch security features such as network threat prevention, multi-layer ransomware protection, vulnerability assessments, anti-trackers, webcam protection, a file shredder, parental controls, antispam, and a firewall. The Total Security and Family Pack plans also include anti-theft tools and a one-click speed and performance optimizer. Additionally, these two plans allow for multi-device compatibility for if you want to use this antivirus on other OS aside from Windows.
You can also make use of Bitdefender’s included VPN which provides you with 200 MB each day per device. This will encrypt your traffic and allow you to surf the web completely anonymously. Additionally, this provider also has a password manager which is available as a browser extension for Windows 11 as part of all antivirus plans. This tool will auto-fill, generate, and manage all of your passwords in an encrypted vault.
Bitdefender Shield is the real-time protection feature that automatically scans all applications, files, archives, networks, and more without impacting your system’s performance. On top of this, the Advanced Threat Defence feature continuously monitors all system processes to identify any suspicious activities. Bitdefender’s antivirus software has been designed to update itself automatically, so you’ll always have the latest and more secure version of the product.
For more information regarding Bitdefender’s antivirus features, you can take a look at the comprehensive support center which is packed full of FAQs, guides, and reviews. You can also contact the knowledgeable support team who are available 24/7 via live chat, phone, and email.
Try out Bitdefender now for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
Kaspersky is an AI-driven antivirus that’s perfect for families, beginners, and users who want all the bells and whistles packed inside a simplified interface.. This software has outstanding detection rates along with plenty of handy features, making it another terrific choice for Windows 11 users who are looking for reliable antivirus protection.
Kaspersky has three tiers of plans, with the Essential Suite offering real-time protection, anti-phishing technology, and automatic performance optimization. The next tier up, Advanced Suite also gives you features such as webcam protection, payment protection, and screen-time management. For the full Kaspersky experience, you can opt for the Total Security plan which gives you all of the above plus file protection, a password manager, and even a GPS child-locator.
There is a good selection of additional features included in all three plans including an ad-blocker that blocks embedded, pop-ups, banners, and auto-play ads. This can reduce page loading times as well as prevent your Windows 11 system from becoming bloated with adware or damaged by malicious files disgusted on web pages. Kaspersky also offers an ultra-fast VPN with a 300 MB daily allowance. With this VPN, you can choose from over 2000 servers across 30 countries to mask your IP address and remain anonymous online.
The Kaspersky antivirus interface is easy to navigate and clearly shows all available features. New users will especially appreciate how simple it is to use Kaspersky to perform scans and manage settings. If you want to learn about how to install and use this antivirus you can check out the provider’s detailed knowledge base. Alternatively, you can take a look at the answers to frequently asked questions or contact the expert support team who are able to assist you 24/7.
Try out Kaspersky now for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!