Antivirus software is a valuable tool that protects your device against cyberattacks such as viruses, adware, spyware, ransomware, and privacy leaks. Without an antivirus app on your Android, you can be at risk of having your data stolen, online activity spied on, and your phone damaged beyond repair. If you’re being invaded with ads, notice new apps on your phone, or if your device has drastically slowed down, then it’s likely you’ve become infected with malware. By installing antivirus on your phone, you can remove any malware and prevent it from ever reaching your phone to begin with.
With so many different antivirus apps, both premium and free, it can be tricky to decide on just one. We’re here to help, so we’ve laid out a list of important criteria that need to be considered before committing to an antivirus provider. We also laid out a list of our top recommended antivirus software for Android to help make your choice even easier. Keep reading to discover the best antivirus apps for Android in 2022.
The best antivirus apps for Android quick guide
- Norton – Best overall choice
- Bitdefender – Lightweight and feature-rich
- Kaspersky – Intuitive app with free version
What features to look for in antivirus apps for Android
Not sure where to get started when it comes to choosing an antivirus for your phone? Take a look at the criteria that should be considered before making your choice –
- Compatibility – Most importantly, your chosen antivirus software needs to be fully compatible with your Android. If not, then the software simply won’t work and you would have wasted your money. If you’re unsure, then you can check the support center on antivirus software websites. From there, you should find a list of all devices that are supported by the software. You can also check out below, as all the AV software we recommend are 100% compatible with Android.
- Performance – Antivirus software should work effectively without drastically slowing down or even crashing your device. You need an antivirus app that can perform regular scans without draining your Android’s battery. You’ll also want a dependable antivirus app that can perform quick scans which don’t have as heavy of an impact on your device.
- Features – There are certain features that are an absolute must for antivirus software on Android. For a start, your chosen antivirus needs to have malware-blocking technology. Malware can sneak onto your device and wreak havoc with your system and data. Adware is one of the most common threats for phone users and accounts for over 60% of detected mobile malware. Other features that your antivirus software should provide include web protection, privacy tools, a GPS locator, and a security advisor.
- Customer Support – If you run into any issues when using your antivirus software on your Android then you’ll want to receive assistance as fast as possible. We highly suggest that you opt for an antivirus provider that has a 24/7 customer support team to ensure that you always promptly get the help you need. Some providers also have extensive knowledge bases or FAQs sections that can be very helpful for new users setting up their antivirus app.
- Price – As with everything else, when it comes to antivirus software, you get what you pay for. If you want the best possible protection on your Android, then you’ll need to pay for a premium antivirus provider. Don’t worry though, as generally antivirus software isn’t too expensive and is equivalent to one or two cups of coffee a month. There are free antivirus apps for Android available, however, these likely have some privacy issues as ‘free’ products tend to make a profit through selling user data. If you want to stay safe from cyber attacks and have your online privacy protected, then we recommend you opt for a premium antivirus app.
Our top recommended best antivirus apps for Android
Based on the criteria we’ve mentioned above, here’s a list of the top three best antivirus software providers for Android in 2022 –
Norton is powerful antivirus software that offers some of the best protection against cyber threats on Androids. The Norton antivirus app is easy to use and packed full of security and privacy features. This antivirus has a near-perfection detection rate, meaning that no malware will ever slip under its radar and damage your device.
The Norton 360 Deluxe plan offers protection for up to 5 devices, including Androids. This plan provides users with malware protection, web protection, dark web monitoring, and Notron’s 100% virus protection promise. This promise outlines that Norton is prepared to refund any user’s subscription if their antivirus fails to detect and remove any viruses. With this plan, you’ll also have access to Norton’s password manager, which will generate complex passwords for all your accounts and store them in an encrypted vault. Additionally, this plan includes Norton’s specialised no-log VPN with support for up to 5 devices.
If you’re not interested in all these extras, then you can instead opt for Norton’s Mobile Security for Android. This plan is included with the 360 Deluxe plan, or can be purchased separately. This plan is built around protection for Android devices and offers a selection of features that prevent cyber criminals from exploiting any of your phone’s vulnerabilities. The app will regularly scan your entire device for viruses, adware, spyware, and other threats, and will quarantine or remove them accordingly. There is also an app advisor, which scans Google Play apps and informs users of any privacy risks or potential malware threats.
Other features include web protection, to fend off against online scams and malicious websites, a report card, to summarise any ‘risky’ apps of device vulnerabilities, SMS security, to scan and filter messages that may contain phishing attempts, and WiFi security, which alerts users if a network they’re about to join is dangerous or under attack.
For more information about the antivirus plans for Android, you can check out Norton’s resource center to find video tutorials, FAQs, and community forums. Alternatively, you can receive expert help from Norton’s 24/7 customer support team via live chat or phone. Norton also encourages users to contact them through their social media accounts.
Try out Norton 360 Deluxe or Mobile Security for Android now for free for 60 days with their money-back guarantee!
Bitdefender is a light-weight antivirus software that offers fantastic protection for Android devices. With an intuitive app interface and top-quality real-time protection, this antivirus can prevent malware and other threats from invading your phone and causing irreversible damage.
The Bitdefender Mobile Security plan offers some of the best protection against infections on mobile devices without any significant negative impact on performance. With this Android antivirus, all newly installed apps are scanned and flagged if they pose any danger. Full scans can be scheduled at any time or enabled in-demand. This plan also includes web protection which scans websites and notifies you it detects any phishing risks or fraudulent pages.
Other features provided in this plan are a security advisor, to recommend security actions, a battery-saver, to prolong your device’s battery life, and WearON, a tool that can extend your antivirus protection to your smartwatch. Bitdefender also offers its own VPN to all Mobile Security users. This VPN will encrypt all traffic and prevent ISPs and third parties from spying on your online activity. This VPN supports a single device and has a 200 MB daily allowance.
The features don’t stop, as Bitfedner has even more to offer. Users can benefit from the anti-theft tool which can locate your device when lost or stolen. This tool can send a message to your device or even lock and wipe it if needed. Additionally, there is an app lock tool that can be used to protect sensitive apps from unauthorised access using a password, pin code, or fingerprint. If you want to check if any of your online information has been involved in a data breach, then the account privacy tool will inform you of any account data leakage.
Head to Bitdefender’s support page for how-to videos, FAQs, and other helpful resources. You can also contact the 24/7 customer support team via email, phone, or live chat if you have any queries or want help with the setup of this antivirus app on your Android device.
Try out Bitdefender Mobile Security now for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
Kaspersky is a full-featured antivirus software that can effectively protect Android devices and guard user’s privacy without compromising their system’s performance. With a top-notch detection rate, low impact scans, and real-time protection, Kaspersky does an excellent job at preventing malware and other advanced threats from infiltrating your phone.
The Kaspersky Internet Security for Android offers 24/7 protection, automatic scans, and many other features, all packed in a user-friendly app. This app has anti-stalkerware, to detect and warn users of any apps that contain spyware, anti-phishing, to block spam messages through texts and emails, anti-theft, to allow users to locate, lock, or wipe their stolen/missing phone, and a call filter, to automatically filter and block calls from a customised list of contacts or phone numbers. Users can also use the app lock feature to prevent unwanted outsiders from accessing certain apps by guarding them with a pin code or password. This feature can even hide certain calls and text messages.
The Kaspersky app is available in 8 languages and is fully compatible with any Android device that is 5.0 or higher. If you’re unsure whether your phone is supported, then you can head to this online help forum for a complete list of all compatible devices. This app is highly reliable and easy for even complete beginners to use. Kaspersky even offers a free version of the Internet Security for Android app which offers a few basic features. This free app is perfect for those who want to test out antivirus software on their Android before committing to a premium subscription.
Kaspersky has an extensive knowledge base that covers all common queries and provides useful resources such as tutorials, community forums, and FAQs. If you’d rather speak to a member of Kaspersky, then you can email the 24/7 customer support team for prompt responses and assistance with any issues you might have come across.
Try out Kaspersky now for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!