Linux has never had such a high market share on Steam. In the hardware survey in June 2022, the open source operating system stood at 1.18% . That sounds paltry compared to Windows, but it’s still over 1.5 million Linux gamers if you believe Valve’s monthly active user numbers.
Arch and Manjaro are also gaining popularity among Steam users. At least the two operating systems are ahead of Ubuntu in the June poll. Arch Linux was already ahead in the last poll. But now Manjaro was also able to squeeze past Ubuntu. Although one could argue that the different Ubuntu versions and the Linux Mint based on it can be added together. In the top 5 Arch + Manjaro would then come to 0.25% and the Ubuntus to 0.31%. However, this does not include operating systems such as Pop!_OS and Steam Decks OS.
Steam poll in June 2022
If I now click in detail and only display the Linux market share statistics, things look like this:
- “Arch Linux” 64-bit 11.42% -1.43%
- “Manjaro Linux” 64-bit 10.11% -0.98%
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64bit 9.90% +1.86%
- Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS 64bit 9.73% -2.02%
- “SteamOS Holo” 64bit 7.58% +2.35%
- Linux Mint 20.3 64-bit 6.45% +0.48%
- Description:Freedesktop.org 08/21/14 (Flatpak runtime) 64 bit 6.05 % +6.05 %
- Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS 64bit 4.79% +4.79%
- Other 33.96% -11.11%
Steam Deck is starting to take effect and is climbing in stats.
However, Windows is still the undisputed leader with over 96%. macOS is also far ahead of Linux at 2.45%.
All numbers and statistics can be found on Steam.
Discover more tech news here!