The development team of Kali Linux has made available the first release this year. Kali Linux 2022.1 offers improvements to existing features, but also brings visual updates. Existing installations can be updated.
The changelog since version 20214 from December 2021 has been summarised below –
- Visual updates – new background images and new GRUB theme
- Visual improvements in readability when you copy code
- Updated browser landing page – Firefox and Chromium home pages have been updated to give you quick access to the most important Kali things
- Kali Everything Image – all packages in one download
- Legacy SSH protocols allow you to connect to legacy SSH servers
- VMware i3 improvements – host guest features now work with i3
- Speech synthesis is back in the Kali installer
- There are many new tools, quite a few of them from ProjectDiscovery
Also, the Kali team talks about a new feature, but it’s not quite ready yet. They are still working on the documentation. Once the feature is ready, there will be a separate blog post. However, the team reveals that it is aimed at bare metal folks.
New browser landing page in Kali Linux 2022.1.
The new default browser landing page looks great. Thanks to the search function, you should quickly find everything you need to use Kali Linux.
New homepage for Firefox in Kali Linux 2022.1 (Source: kali.org)
Kali Everything Image: Everything bundled
With the new variant kali-linux-everything you can now download a complete offline image containing everything.
Until now, users had to download the kali-linux-everything packages. This is no longer the case. However, this ISO image has grown considerably – from 2.8 GBytes to about 9.4 GBytes. That’s why the large image is only available via BitTorrent.
New Tools in Kali Linux 2022.1
As already mentioned, there are several new tools. Here is a short summary:
- dnsx – fast and general purpose DNS toolkit
- email2phonenumber – an OSINT tool to find out the phone number from an email address
- naabu – fast port scanner focused on reliability and simplicity
- nuclei – targeted scanning, based on templates
- PoshC2 – a proxy aware C2 framework
- proxify -universal tool to collect, manipulate and retry HTTP/HTTPS traffic
Updates for ARM
Various packages have not been available for the arm64 architecture so far. The following tools are now available:
Bluetooth should now work for the RaspberryPi images, but not for the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. The team is still looking for a fix and as soon as it is found, there will be an updated image.
Documentation is now also available for the RaspberryPi Zero 2 W.
Download Kali Linux 2022.1
You can download the current Kali version here. There you can find all possible images, from amd64 to Raspberry Pi.
All new features and changes to Kali Linux 2022.1 can be found in the official announcement.
VPN for Pi
Are you looking for a VPN for the Raspberry Pi? NordVPN* offers a client that works with Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit / 64-bit) and Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi (64-bit).
Discover more news here!