Although the majority of websites are hosted through either Linux or Windows operating systems, many users are still after reliable Mac-based hosting services. Despite just 0.1% of all the websites using macOS, Mac hosting is one of the most secure forms of web hosting due to the OS’s unbeatable security measures. If you’re used to Apple software, then it’s definitely worth doing a little extra research to find a feature-rich and reliable hosting plan for Mac rather than switching over to Windows or Linux.
So, we are calling all Mac users who are interested in hosting a website! It’s important for you to find a web host that has hosting plans compatible with macOS. Alongside this, you’ll also want a hosting provider that provides adequate security measures, and an average uptime of at least 99.9% among other vital factors. This can be tricky since the majority of hosting providers exclusively offer hosting plans for Windows and Linux. But don’t fret! We’ve taken the time for you to research and summarise the top hosting providers in 2023 that offer plans for Mac users. Not only this, but these providers are also incredibly reliable, secure, and offer plans that are packed with fantastic features. So, keep reading to find out the best web hosts for Mac users in 2023!
The best web hosts for Mac users quick guide
- Bluehost – Best overall choice
- GreenGeeks – Fast and secure
- Hostgator – Budget-friendly
What factors to consider when finding a web host for Mac
If you’re interested in using a web host for macOS, then there are several factors that you should consider before committing to a specific provider. Take a look at what you should keep in mind when looking for a web host for Mac in regards to security, user interface, resource allocation, uptime, and customer support –
- Security – Although macOS is considered a highly-secure operating system, you’ll still want a web host that provides you with robust security to protect your website and visitors from cyber threats. One important security feature that should be included in your web hosting plan, especially if you are planning to set up a payment system on your website, is an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate.
An SSL certificate is a technology that authenticates your website’s indeed and encrypts data, allowing for secure connections between the server and a web browser. When visitors make payments or donations on your website, the SSL certificate will encrypt sensitive information such as their identity, password, address, and financial details, so they are protected against cybercriminals. Having an SSL certificate will help you build trust among your website’s visitors and can also improve your SEO ranking. Many reputable web hosts offer free SSL certification with their plans, so make sure you check to see if this is included in the web hosting plan that you’re considering purchasing.
- User interface – If this is your first time creating a website, or perhaps you[‘re interested in creating a smaller website such as a blog, then you won’t want to deal with the hassle of navigating through a complex user interface. If this is the case, then you’ll want to look for a web host that uses a macOS-friendly user interface that allows you to quickly navigate through various settings and perform advanced actions without needing any prior experience or technical knowledge.
- Bandwidth and storage – Having enough resources is another important factor to consider as you want to be able to fully support your website especially if it’s expected to grow a significant amount over time. By ‘resources’ we typically are referring to bandwidth (data that is transferred to and from your website’s server) and storage (how much space on the server is allocated to your website’.
The amount of bandwidth and storage space needed for your website will vary depending on how much you’re willing to spend and which type of hosting plan you want (shared, dedicated, VPS). For example, smaller and newer websites will only need between 5 – 10 GB of bandwidth and up to 3 GB of storage space. Many web hosts also offer users unlimited bandwidth and storage space, so you don’t have to worry about scaling your website over time or running into any resource caps.
- Uptime – This refers to how long your website is online throughout a certain period of time. Websites can go offline for several reasons including maintenance, hardware failure, cyberattacks, and server overload. It’s impossible for anyone’s website to be online constantly, however, frequent downtime can result in a decrease in visitors to your site which can then damage your reputation. Therefore, it’s important to choose a Mac web host that can provide an average uptime of at least 99.9%. This means that, on average, your website is expected to experience just .1% of downtime which is equivalent to the site being offline for 8 hours in an entire year.
Additionally, we suggest you opt for a web host that has some form of uptime guarantee which means you can receive credits to your account if your website drops below the specified uptime.
- Support – For all users, but especially beginners, having reliable customer support at your disposal at all times is an absolute necessity. At any point, you may run into an issue that can impact your website’s performance and even crash it completely, so it’s important to use a web host that has 24/7 customer support available. Your chosen web host’s customer support team also needs to be knowledgeable and helpful, so you can effectively communicate to quickly fix any issues.
Many web hosts also have a knowledge base on their website that allows users to attempt to resolve issues themselves. In these knowledge bases, you’ll typically find articles, guides, and even video tutorials that can walk you through troubleshooting issues and taking the correct steps to fix them. Before committing to a web host, we do recommend that you head to their website to check out their knowledge base, so you know exactly what resources will be available to you.
Our top recommended best web hosts for Mac users in 2023
As we’ve just discussed, the best web hosts for Mac users will provide top-notch security features, a user-friendly interface, generous resource allocation, 99.9% uptime, and 24.7 customer support. With these factors in mind, we’ve handpicked three hosting providers that we believe are best suited to hosting websites through macOS in 2023! Let’s take a look at our top recommendations –
Bluehost is an excellent web hosting provider that’s ideal for hosting beginners and experts alike. If you’re looking for a reliable and fantastic all-around web host that provides feature-rich hosting plans for macOS (among other operating systems) along with an uptime guarantee of 99.98%, then look no further than Bluehost.
With Bluehost, you have the choice between WordPress, shared, dedicated, and VPS hosting plans. There are four shared hosting plans available, with the recommended Choice Plus plan providing users with unlimited websites, unlimited SSD storage, free one-year automated backups, and one-year free domain name registration. Bluehost also offers free SSL certification with the majority of its available plans, so you can keep your visitors safe when making payments or donations.
Another key feature offered by Bluehost is its built-in website builder which also comes included in most hosting plans or can be purchased separately. This site builder can be used on an unlimited number of websites and includes over 300 design templates to choose from. You can also make use of this tool’s live editing feature, stock image library, custom fonts, and included email marketing. Bluehost’s site builder is ideal for users who don’t want to spend much time and money designing their web pages and would rather utilise a smart AI to get their site up and running as quickly as possible.
Bluehost has a highly knowledgeable customer support team who are available 24/7 through phone lines or live chat to help you with the setup and running of your macOS website. This hosting provider also has a range of articles, how-tos, and FAQs that can be found on its knowledge base. Here you can also find some Mac-specific articles such as a detailed list of recommended programs for Mac users, so you can have a hassle-free experience when building and maintaining your macOS website!
Try out one of Bluehost’s Mac hosting plans for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
GreenGeeks is an eco-friendly and super-fast hosting provider that provides a range of hosting plans that have been tailored specifically to Mac users. If you’re after outstanding speeds and robust security from a web host that has made an admirable effort to reduce its environmental impact, then GreenGeeks is definitely the best web host for you.
This web host offers plans for shared, WordPress, dedicated, VPS, and reseller hosting along with three Mac-orientated hosting plans. The most popular plan, Pro, offers users unlimited storage space, unmetered bandwidth, and the choice to host an unlimited number of websites. With this plan, you’re also provided with free SSL, free nightly backups, free CDN, built-in caching, unlimited databases, and one-year free domain name registration.
You can enjoy very stable website performance with GreenGeek’s impressive 99.9% uptime guarantee. If your website grows significantly then don’t worry as GreenGeeks also makes it easy and seamless to upgrade your hosting plan and scale with your website growth. This web host has also optimised its speeds for Mac users, so you can enjoy fast page loading speeds resulting in an increase in returning visitors. The most unique part of GreenGeek is that for every customer who signs up for a hosting plan, the provider will plant one tree.
GreenGeeks has an expert support team who are ready to lend a hand 24/7 through phone or list chat. This web host also performs routine maintenance around the clock to prevent server outages, unexpected downtime, and other issues. If you run into a problem when setting up or maintaining your website, then you can head to GreenGeek’s comprehensive knowledge base which is packed with helpful articles, discussions, and video tutorials. You can also find a selection of Mac-specific articles here!
Try out one of GreenGeek’s Mac hosting plans for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
Hostgator is a dependable and powerful web host that provides affordable plans, making it the ideal choice for users who are perhaps new to web hosting, are on a tight budget, or are interested in hosting a smaller website such as a blog. If you’re after a Mac-friendly hosting plan that provides everything you need to run a fast and secure website at a low cost, then Hostgator is your best bet.
This web host has shared, WordPress, dedicated, VPS, and reseller hosting plans, all of which are fully compatible with macOS. Hostgator has three shared hosting plans up for grabs, with the recommended Baby Plan providing users with unmetered bandwidth, unmetered storage space, unlimited websites, and one-year free domain name registration. Users who are beginners when it comes to web hosting will also enjoy the included one-click WordPress installation along with free WordPress/cPanel website transfer.
With the majority of hosting plans offered by Hostgator, users can expect to also receive free SSL certification to make their websites secure. Additionally, users can make use of Hostgator’s built-in website builder that allows you to drag and drop various features to alter one of the hundreds of available templates. This web host has a 99.9% uptime guarantee and if the server falls short of this, then users can receive one month of credit deposited into their hosting account.
Hostgator has a friendly and informative customer support team available 24/7 through either live chat or phone. You can also head to the provider’s website to take a look at its knowledge base which includes troubleshooting information, articles, guides, and how-to tutorials on various topics including Mac-specific issues.
Try out one of Hostgator’s Mac hosting plans for free for 45 days with their money-back guarantee!