Ads are undoubtedly everywhere we look. Even on the web, we see ads through social media, streaming services, and web pages. With how normalised online ads have become, most people are unaware of how invasive and disruptive they can be. Ads can slow down page loading speeds, consume excessive data, track sensitive user data, and even distribute malware. If you want to protect yourself from security and privacy risks by having an ad-free online experience then you need an ad-blocker.
If you’re already interested in VPNs or have used one previously, then using a VPN with a built-in ad blocker is your best choice. VPNs already protect users from cyber threats and allow anonymous browsing, so using a VPN with an ad-blocker is much more secure than traditional, standalone ad-blockers. To help you find the most suitable VPN for your ad-blocking needs, we’ve researched the top providers with built-in ad blockers and narrowed our list down to just three of the very best. Keep reading to discover the best VPNs with ad blockers in 2022!
The best VPNs with ad blockers quick guide
- NordVPN – Best overall choice
- Surfshark – For unlimited connections
- ProtonVPN – For top-notch security
Why you need a VPN with a built-in ad blocker
Typically, ad-blocking software will inspect a website’s components against a blacklist and prevent any advertising material from loading. Aside from having a decluttered and more legible browsing experience, using a VPN with an ad blocker can benefit you in several ways –
- Increased page loading speeds – Ads are notorious for slowing down page loading speeds and research has found that 60% of the total loading time of pages is caused by scripts that place ads or trackers. When using an ad blocker, your browser won’t have to spend ages loading all ads, plug-ins, and third-party analytics, so websites will open faster and you’ll notice much better performance overall.
- Reduced mobile data usage – Mobile users will especially benefit from an ad blocker as it can reduce the amount of bandwidth they consume when browsing online. Web pages that are full with ads can eat up excessive data and studies have shown that when visiting news websites, more than 50% of your mobile data is consumed by ads. Using a VPN with a built-in ad blocker can save you both data and money!
- Protection against security risks – Online advertising material is often utilised by cybercriminals to distribute malware. Dubbed as malvertising, hackers have been known to hide malware in digital ads and purchase advertising space to push them to popular websites. Malware-infected ads don’t even have to be clicked on, so you can unknowingly infect your system just by opening a web page that’s been compromised by malvertising. Not sure how serious malware really is? Find out 10 malware alarming malware statistics in 2022!
- More online privacy – Online ads are known to abuse the privacy of users by gathering personal information through trackers to either sell to third parties to be used for targeted advertising. Ad-blocking software can also prevent third-party trackers from loading, so you can browse the web in peace without your sensitive information being tracked or collected.
Our top recommended VPNs with ad blockers in 2022
Out of all the available VPN providers, surprisingly, only a handful have built-in ad blockers. Ad blockers should be reliable, secure, and powerful to ensure that you’re protected against malware, privacy risks, and excessive data consumption. With that in mind, we’ve discovered the most suitable VPNs with built-in ad blockers based on their features, security, price, and device compatibility (Discover more useful features of VPNs with our in-depth guide!). Time to take a look at our top recommended VPNs with ad blockers –
NordVPN is one of the most secure and reliable VPNs that money can buy. On top of its advanced security features, this VPN has a built-in ad blocker that can protect you from intrusive ads and trackers before they can even load on your browser.
NordVPN’s built-in ad blocker comes bundled with the VPN’s Threat Protection feature. This feature neutralises cyber threats before they have a chance to infect and damage your devices. Included in Threat Protection is a tracker blocker that blocks tracking cookies that are used to create digital profiles of users for target advertising.
NordVPN’s ad blocker (CyberSec) uses a blacklist of blocked websites to identify potential risks and restricts users’ access if it detects a match. CyberSec will warn you if the website you’re trying to visit is infected with adware or malware, so you can stay safe when browsing online. Using CyberSec, along with NordVPNs Threat Protection feature, you can block auto-play and pop-up ads as well as trackers and other annoyances.
Aside from the built-in ad blocker, NordVPN has plenty of security features to offer including AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, obfuscated servers, MFA, split tunnelling support, private DNS, and dedicated IP. Additionally, this VPN has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited, so you can be sure that your sensitive information remains private and your online activities stay anonymous.
With NordVPN, users have unlimited bandwidth and are allowed up to 6 simultaneous connections, so you can protect your phone, laptop, and PC all at the same time. You can even use a device slot to connect your router so you can secure every single device under your home network at no extra cost!
Try out NordVPN’s* built-in ad blocker for free for 30-days with their money-back guarantee!
Surfshark is another fantastic VPN that’s both affordable and feature-rich. This VPN’s built-in ad blocker is highly reliable and easy to use, making it an ideal choice for those who are unfamiliar with either VPNs or ad blocking technology.
Surfshark’s ad blocker, CleanWeb, can block ads on apps as well as browsers, so you can stay protected from ads whenever you’re connected to the internet, and not just when you’re browsing the web. Surfshark has extensive databases that are constantly being updated and currently contain lists of over one million malware-infected websites. CleanWeb can also help users to avoid phishing attempts as well as boosting browsing speeds.
You can stay further protected with Surfshark’s military-grade encryption alongside various other security tools including a kill switch, camouflage mode, NoBorders mode, and private DNS with leak protection. Surfshark also has a no-logs policy that has been independently audited, so you can browse the web both safely and anonymously with any traces.
Surfshark offers unlimited bandwidth and unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can secure every single device you own and enjoy a smooth, fast, and ad-free experience. The Surfshark app, along with the Cybersec ad blocker, is available on all major operating systems including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
Try out Surfshark’s* built-in ad blocker for free for 30-days with their money-back guarantee!
ProtonVPN is a high-speed and user-friendly VPN that offers all the features you need to stay safe online and avoid annoying ads. With a built-in ad blocker, various security features, and an open source app, ProtonVPN goes above and beyond to ensure the online protection of its users.
ProtonVPN’s ad blocker NetShield uses DNS filtering to speed up users’ browsing experience whilst blocking ads and trackers. This tool works by checking the domain requests of all websites and apps against a database of domains that have been flagged for hosting ads, trackers, and malware. All flagged domains will be prevented from loading altogether, so your risk of coming in contact with privacy concerns and security threats is significantly reduced.
Additionally, ProtonVPN uses AES-256 encryption and only uses VPN protocols that are known to be secure such as OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2. Other security features provided by this VPN include full disk encryption, a kill switch, built-in Tor support, and DNS leak protection. ProtonVPN has a no-logs policy and apps that are fully open source and have been independently audited.
Users are allowed up to 10 simultaneous connections alongside unlimited bandwidth, so you can secure all your favourite devices. ProtonVPN additionally has a free version available. Although the built-in ad blocker is not included in this free version, it still gives you a chance to test out ProtonVPN to see if this provider is right for you.
Try out ProtonVPN’s* built-in ad blocker for free for 30-days with their money-back guarantee!