VPNs (short for Virtual Private Networks) establish an encrypted, private connection across a public network. When you connect to a remote VPN server your traffic is secure in a virtual tunnel that reroutes it through the server, concealing your IP address. This can keep you safe from common cyberattacks and allows you to browse the web anonymously. Not only this, but VPNs can also help you access geo-blocked content by spoofing your location, meaning you can unblock region-locked media content from streaming and gaming services. Currently, only 24% of users online in Europe protect themselves with a VPN. This must change as no matter where you live in the world, a VPN is a crucial tool to help you stay secure and private when online.
If you live anywhere in Europe, then there are certain criteria that need to be considered when choosing a VPN. A suitable provider will, most importantly, have a wide range of servers based in various European countries, so you can connect to a nearby one to ensure fast speeds at all times. Additionally, a VPN should provide you with top-notch security features, a no-logs policy, and an easy-to-use app. Keep reading to discover more factors to consider when choosing a VPN and find out the best VPNs for Europe in 2022!
The best VPNs for Europe quick guide
- NordVPN – Best overall choice
- ProtonVPN – Privacy-focused
- Surfshark – Highly affordable
Try out NordVPN* for Europe now!
Try out NordVPN* for Europe now!
What to look for when choosing a VPN for Europe
If you’re not quite sure how to choose the best VPN for Europe, we’re here to help. Here is a list of criteria that reputable VPNs should provide –
- Large server network – To make the most out of your VPN, you’ll want to have a wide selection of servers to choose from. The best VPNs will have thousands of servers spread all across Europe (and the rest of the world) so you can easily spoof your location to access geo-blocked content from any country. Before committing to a VPN, we recommend that you check that the provider has at least a handful of servers based in your country.
- Fast connection speeds – If you want to browse the web without slow page loading times, steam in high quality, and game without lag, all whilst being protected by a VPN, you need to prioritise fast connection speeds. A provider’s server quality, chosen VPN protocol, and other factors can influence how fast their connection speeds are, which can make a huge difference even when going about your usual online activities.
Luckily, all VPNs can speed up your connection speeds due to them stopping your ISP from targeting you and throttling your bandwidth. However, if you intend to stream, torrent, or participate in online games, then you need to carefully choose a provider that offers lightning-fast and consistent connection speeds.
- Robust security – The greatest benefit of using a VPN is having additional security added to your day-to-day online activities. Without a VPN, your traffic is at risk of being intercepted by cybercriminals, leaving you vulnerable to malware and other nasty threats. The best VPNs will use military-grade encryption to secure your traffic, making it impossible for cybercriminals to target and intercept.
Other vital security features that your VPN should provide include a kill switch (to stop your connection to the internet completely if an interruption with the VPN is detected), obfuscation (to make your VPN traffic appear as regular internet traffic), and DNS leak protection ( to prevent websites and third parties from identifying your real DNS address).
- A no-logs policy – If you want to significantly reduce your digital footprint and browse the web without a trace, then it’s crucial you use a VPN that has a no-logs policy. This policy means that a provider does not monitor or collect (log) any sensitive user information such as connection timestamps, IP addresses, metadata, DNS queries, and browsing histories. Even if a VPN does not intend to sell user data, the provider should still have a zero-logs policy because it ensures that even if the provider experiences a security breach, there is no user data logged that can be compromised by hackers. Additionally, it’s a huge bonus if a VPN’s no-logs policy has been independently audited and the provider is incorporated in a country that is based outside of US and EU jurisdiction.
- Multiple device compatibility – Finally, before you commit to a VPN, you should also make sure that the provider’s app is compatible with your device(s). Most VPNs have apps or clients that are supported by most major operating systems such as Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. Some are also supported by popular routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
You will generally benefit the most from a VPN that has an intuitive app that is easy to navigate and suitable for users of all experience levels. Also, if you have several devices you want to protect then you also need to check that your chosen VPN offers multiple device compatibility along with unlimited bandwidth (so you don’t run into any annoying bandwidth caps).
Our top recommended best VPNs for Europe in 2022
As we’ve mentioned above, the best VPNs for Europe will have a large selection of servers based all around the world (especially in European countries), gold-standard encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and multiple device compatibility. With this in mind, we have carefully researched and tested the most reputable and secure VPNs to find the absolute best three choices for Europe in 2022. Let’s take a closer look at our recommendations –
NordVPN is a powerful and trusted VPN that provides fantastic connection speeds, top-notch security, and an intuitive app. This makes NordVPN a great option for those in Europe, regardless of whether you intend to use this VPN to protect against cyber threats, bypass geoblocking, or reduce your digital footprint.
There are over 5400 servers available worldwide with over 2500 based in more than 35 countries in Europe. NordVPN uses obfuscation on all servers to make your VPN traffic look like regular traffic, meaning that you can bypass VPN-blocking firewalls and not even your ISP can see that you’re using a VPN. All of NordVPN’s servers provide exceptional connection speeds, so you can browse the web without waiting around for pages to load as well as stream connect in high quality and finish downloads in record time.
In addition to lightning-fast speeds, NordVPN also provides you with unbeatable security, so you can steer clear of nasty cyber threats such as hackers and malware. Your traffic will be secured with military-grade AES 256-bit encryption which would take billions of years to decrypt. Along with this, NordVPN provides several other security features such as a kill switch, dedicated IP, DNS leak protection, MFA, double VPN protection, and built-in threat protection. Additionally, NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited.
The NordVPN app is available on all major OS (Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux) as well as most smart TVs and routers. There are also lightweight browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. NordVPN allows for up to 6 simultaneous connections and has no bandwidth caps, so you can secure all your favourite devices at the same time and enjoy staying completely protected when online in Europe.
Try out NordVPN* in Europe for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
The transparent, secure, and reliable VPN, ProtonVPN, is another terrific choice for those in Europe. With a well-designed app and plenty of privacy-focused features, this VPN ensures that even those who are unfamiliar with VPNs can easily connect to a server to protect their privacy and browse the web anonymously.
ProtonVPN has over 1700 servers in 63 countries, including most European countries such as Bulgaria, France, Germany, Denmark, the UK, and Italy. These servers are protected by full disk encryption and provide impressive connection speeds that allow you to stream, torrent, or game without any interruptions. Additionally, ProtonVPN operates a handful of Secure Core servers in each country which protect users from network attacks by routing their traffic through multiple servers rather than just one.
Speaking of protection, you can enjoy the gold-standard encryption, AES-256 encryption, used by ProtonVPN to protect your internet traffic from hackers. This VPN also provides a great selection of other security features including a kill switch, DNS leak prevention, and a built-in ad-blocker. Additionally, ProtonVPN only uses VPN protocols that it considers to be secure and trusted – IKEv2, WireGuard, and OpenVPN. This VPN is fully open-source and has a no-logs policy that has been independently audited.
You can download ProtonVPN now on any Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, or Linux device and you can have up to 10 simultaneous connections with ProtonVPN’s Plus plan. This VPN also offers unlimited bandwidth so you can keep it enabled on your devices at all times, protecting you from cyber threats and keeping you anonymous whenever you’re browsing the web in Europe.
Try out ProtonVPN* in Europe for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!
With low-cost plans, a polished app, and excellent connection speeds, Surfshark is another first-rate option for those in Europe who are after security, privacy, and online freedom. Even if you’re on a tight budget, you can opt for Surfshark’s affordable plan to enjoy all the benefits of a premium VPN without any unnecessary costs.
Surfshark has over 3200 servers in 65 countries, including more than 600 servers in 30 European countries, so you’ll have plenty of nearby servers to choose from, no matter where you’re located in Europe. These RAM-only servers are regularly wiped and do not store any user data, so you don’t have to worry about your sensitive information being compromised. Additionally, Surfshark has a no-logs policy that has been independently audited and since the VPN is based in the Netherlands, it is not required by law to store or hand over user logs.
As with the other VPNs we have recommended, Surfshack protects users with military-grade AES-256 encryption. This VPN also uses highly secure VPN protocols – WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN. You can also increase your online safety with the range of security features provided by Surfshark such as a kill switch, private DNS with leak protection, a camouflage mode, a no borders mode, and a built0in ad-blocker (CleanWeb).
The Surfshark app is supported by all major operating systems including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux as well as most popular routers, smart TVs, and gaming consoles. This VPN allows for unlimited simultaneous connections in addition to unlimited bandwidth, so you can protect all your devices to enjoy a safe, private, and uncensored online experience in Europe!
Try out Surfshark* in Europe for free for 30 days with their money-back guarantee!